Policing those who can't seem to police themselves.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Still seeking sanity

As one of the many, many people at the Rally to Restore Sanity, I found this message really struck home with me:

"If we overreact to every little thing, we make ourselves sicker. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart
To me, the rally was a response to the media playing into the Right and Left's desire to control the story. Rather than take their responsibilities as the 4th Estate seriously, they follow along with the talking points and amp up every little newsburb into a screaming headline.

Sure enough, within hours of the rally, the media had already shifted attention to Jon Stewart's "attack" on the left.

Let me be honest here in my first post. I lean left. Not libertarian left. Not conspiracy theory left. But a progressive left. I favor stem cell research, gay marriage, a woman's right to choose. I'm okay with my tax money helping the poor and would prefer that the rich and large corporations shoulder a larger tax burden.

But, just to throw a wrench in my democrat engine, I believe in the death penalty. I don't think it works a deterrent, but I do think that many cases are solved because it's an effective bargaining chip. If my loved one was missing, I would want their body back even if meant the killer got life in prision.

And for the official record....I love the United States. I support the troops. I believe this is the best country on earth.

I'm sure many of my views will become known through this blog in time. I hope to present them in a reasonable way that allows for discussion. But let's all remember that this are my opinions. This is an op-ed blog, not unbiased journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment